What becomes visible when we see through the body
Since when the predecessor festival of Dance New Air started 15 years ago, the situation around dance has been changed significantly and the art form called “dance” has been growing increasingly diverse. With the increased number of people enjoy seeing dance and people enjoy dancing themselves, dance becomes more familiar. But at the same time, simpler and more direct expression tends to be preferred, so we strongly want to deliver profound fascination of dance to as many people as possible.
We introduced more than 200 brilliant pieces beyond existing genres and categories since 2002. For this year, our 8th festival from 2002, with “what becomes visible when we see through the body” as our key phrase, we present overwhelming works which will touch your heartstrings. What will we see when artists’ emotion deep inside their heart emerging through their bodies?
In terms of performance with body, people might be more familiar with sports than with dance. The origin of “art” is Latin word “ars” and going further back, we can find the word “techne” meaning technique. Thus, we can see a close relationship between dance, expressive art form, and sports, evaluated by technical aspect. The extreme concentration which top athletes get in during sport games is similar to the state where dancers lose themselves and completely absorbed in pieces on stage. Now, the world sporting extravaganza is coming up in 2 years, by capturing these two objectively, we also focus on the nature of our body.
In Dance New Air, a dance festival in Aoyama, Tokyo, we use not only theatre space but also many other spaces such as outdoor space, cinema and book center, and explore and offer new possibility through dance. Also we’d like to support artists developing themselves for future with their physical expression, and serve ourselves as a platform to activate their development.
Lastly, we would like to express our deepest gratitude to our audience and everyone who has supported and contributed to Dance New Air.
Dance New Air Executive Committee
Dance Nippon Associates
Wacoal Art Center Co., LTD.
- October 3rd Wed through October 14th Sun
- Spiral Hall, Shogetsu Hall, Sogetsu Plaza, Goethe-Institut Tokyo, VACANT, Theatre Image Forum, Aoyama Book Center main store, STUDIO ARCHITANZ, Libra Hall, World Kita Aoyama Building
- Dance New Air Executive Committee, Dance Nippon Associates, Wacoal Art Center Co., Ltd.,
- FY2018 Minato Cooperation Project for Cultural Program, Daguerreo Press, Inc. (Theatre Image Forum), Sogetsu Foundation, Ambassade de France – Institut français du Japon, Goethe-Institut Tokyo, ARCHITANZ Co.,Ltd
- Supported by the Agency for Cultural Affairs Government of Japan in the fiscal 2018, Arts Council Tokyo (Tokyo Metropolitan Foundation for History and Culture)
- NCD Co., Ltd., THE BODY RIDE Co., Ltd., SPLENDID CO., LTD., TOKYU STAY Service Co., Ltd., Toyota Motor Corporation, minä perhonen, MHD Moët Hennessy Diageo K.K., WORLD Co., Ltd.
- Aoyama Book Center main store, Australian Government, Australia now sponsors, THREE AOYAMA, The Saison Foundation, Dance & Nursery!! Project, VACANT, World Space Solutions Co., Ltd.
- Baobab, TOKYO BABYLON, LAND FES, Shinagawa Culture Foundation, Mikiko KAWAMURA, Tottori Prefecture & BIRD Theatre Management Committee, Kitakyushu Performing Arts Center, Kyoto City/Institut français du Japon-Kansai, Setagaya Public Theatre, Aichi Prefectural Art Theater, Mitsutake KASAI×Naoka UEMURA, Office ALB, Kanagawa Arts Theatre, Festival/Tokyo 18
- Advisory Board
- Tatsuro ISHII (Dance Critic / Emeritus Professor of Keio University / Visiting professor at Aichi Prefectural University of Arts)
Ryoichi ENOMOTO (Director of ATAMATOTE International / Visiting professor at Kyoto University of Art and Design)
Shigeto NUKI (Dance Critic / Professor at Senshu University, School of Letters)
Takao NORIKOSHI (Writer, Dance Critic / Director of JAPAN DANCE PLUG Co., Ltd.)
Atsuko HISANO (Program Director, The Saison Foundation)
- Shinji ONO, Hiroyuki KOBAYASHI(Spiral)
- Chief Producer
- Maki MIYAKUBO
- Kumi HIRAOKA, Koyo YAMASHITA, Satoshi HASHIGUCHI(Spiral)
- Production staffs
- Mai TAKIZAWA, Fuyuko MEZAWA, Kanako IWANAKA, Kaito OTSU(Spiral)
- Ticket Administration
- Natsumi TAKASUGI, Saori YONEDA, Fuka OKAZAKI
- Haruna MATSUNAMI, Ayane OKAZAKI
- Momoko YAMASHITA
- Yoko TOKITA
- Workshops Interpretation
- Suzuko TANOIRI
- Support Staffs
- Yuki AOKI, Hiroko IKESAKO, Tomoko ICHIKAWA, Tomomi UENO, Megumi UTSUMI, Kyoko OGUSHI, Mariko OGATA, Saki KATO, Eriko KOBAYASHI, Hisaki SOMEMIYA, Tomomi TERASHITA, Manako NAGATA, Noriko HATA, Shu FUJII, Maya MATSUI, Miyu MOTEGI, Haruna MORI, Kumiko YASUMURO
- Publicity Design
- Hirohisa OTA(golzopocci)
- Website Construction
- Masahiro OHSKA
- Technical Coordination
- Yoshiko HARAGUCHI
- Lighting Coordination
- Yukihide OTSUKA (Spiral)
- Sound Coordination
- Atsushi UKIOKA (Spiral)
- Stage Set Coordination
- Eisuke OTSU
- Stage Management
- Satoshi ONO, Daijiro KAWAKAMI, Dai MATSUOKA, Tomomi TORIKAI
- Assistant Stage Management
- Kensuke SUGITA, Shunsuke MOMOKI
- Yuri ITO, Mika TOMINAGA
- Technical Interpretation
- Hanako HORIUCHI
- Yulia SKOGOREVA
- Kei UCHIDA, Moyou KAWAZAKI, Syunsuke NAKASE